Interested in using solar power to help heat your home’s hot water? Now might be the time to investigate whether or not your house is suitable for solar hot water.
For a limited time, Vancouver’s Solar Home Pilot is offering a $3000 incentive towards the cost of solar hot water systems in Vancouver. The funding is available to a maximum of 30 homes and is available on a first come, first served basis. As of today, there are only 10 rebates left.
Do you qualify?
- Your home’s hot water system must be heated by gas to qualify for this rebate.
- Your building site and design must be suitable for a solar hot water installation. Suitability is calculated by taking into consideration your home’s location/latitude, the weather at that location, the orientation of your roof segment that solar panels would be placed on (south, south-east, or south-west facing are best), the slope of your roof, and finally shadows (created by other buildings, trees, or hills) that may affect the amount of sun hitting your roof. SolarBC provides a free Solar Rating Online to evaluate your specific site.
Select an Installer
- Choose a SolarBC Registered Installer that meets the City of Vancouver’s System Requirements.
- Expect your chosen installer to:
- Complete a site assessment of your home’s suitability for solar technology
- Identify the best location on your roof or wall for solar panels
- Confirm the percentage of your current energy source that might be replaced with solar technology
- Design and price a system for your home
- Direct you to available rebate and incentive programs
Purchase your system & receive your rebate
- Your installer will fill out your SolarBC application form for you.
- You will receive the discount at the time you pay for the system.
If you have any further questions about the program, refer to the Solar Home Pilot FAQ or call the City of Vancouver, Sustainability Group at 604.871.6288.